June 18, 2018:
The 21st FIFA World Cup, which is underway in Russia, is filled with excitement, anticipation, prediction and fun fests as fans across the world celebrate their teams’ victory while others hope for a better game in the days to come.
While we are glued to the television set or the I-pad to watch the live telecast of every game, let us take a look at some lesser known facts about FIFA World Cup that every football fan in the world needs to know.
- This would be the first time in the history of FIFA World Cup that Russia would play host, from June 14 to July 15, 2018.
- The 2018 World Cup mascot is a wolf named Zabivaka, which was chosen via online voting.
- A total of 32 teams would be having their eyes on the trophy.
- First time in the history of world cup VAR (Video Assistant Referee) system would be used.
- The total prize money for 2018 World Cup is 400 USD million.
- McDonald’s is the official food partner for the World Cup 2018.
- The tournament would be played across 11 cities and 12 stadiums.
- Luzhniki stadium in Moscow has a capacity of 81,000 people and is the biggest stadium rebuilt in Russia on the occasion of World Cup.
- Matches would also be played in the easternmost city Ekaterinburg and the westernmost city Kaliningrad which are 2,415 kms apart. It is approximately the same distance between Moscow and London.
- This World Cup welcomes debutants — Iceland and Panama.
With inputs from ToI