TNT Five Things | AGARTALA, September 9, 2018
Earlier this week, a young girl from Tripura, 20 years of age, won gold for India in the 55 kg category in the ‘Francaise Savate Championship’ which was held in Chandigarh.
This article presents to you five facts about Tripura’s Tracy Darlong, to better acquaint you with the newest International Kick Boxing Champion.
1. Tracy Darlong is a resident of 82 Mile, a town in the Kanchancherra territory of Dhalai area, almost 140 km from Tripura’s capital Agartala.
2. Tracy was first discovered when she was in class 9. On discovering her, kickboxing coach Pinaki Chakraborty visited the athlete’s home asking her mother for permission to promote Tracy’s interest in sports. He told them that Tracy would be a very good fighter.
3. Tracy’s family was subjected financial difficulties. Her mother is an Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) in her village and earns a fixed monthly salary of Rs 1,000. She can only get incentives if she can get pregnant mothers to agree to visit government hospitals for their deliveries. This means that she does not earn more than Rs 2,000 each month. Following the death of her father last year, her mother, Biakveli Darlong, raised and educated her daughter all on her own.
4. Tracy’s mother had to sell her jewels to help Tracy participate in the tournament in Chandigarh. The athlete says she owes her success to her mother.
5. Despite her struggles, Tracy has won five gold medals so far: the WAKO India Junior National Kickboxing Championship, 15th National Muay Thai Championship in 2014, the WAKO India Senior National Kickboxing Championship, the National Amateur Muay Thai Championship in 2016, and the National Savate Championship held in Chandigarh. She also won silver at the India Independence Cup International Karate Championship in 2016.