By Priyanka Deb Burman | November 25, 2017
AGARTALA: There is no force equal to a woman determined to rise and Tripura’s Rakhi Debbarma is a living example.This lady defied all obstacles and social taboos to be crowned Mrs. East India Beauty Queen, 2017. She was the lone participant from Northeast India to take part in the contest.
Rakhi is a homeopathic physician by profession, a dutiful wife and doting mother. But despite her hectic professional and domestic schedule, she kept her passion alive and worked tirelessly towards her goal. Even at 43, she is fit and a beautiful fashion diva.
She effortlessly beat all competition depicting her beauty, intelligence, wit and humour. Her dream came true when she was crowed Mrs.East India Beauty Queen at Jaipur on September 01, 2017. Rakhi, not only achieved a rare milestone, but made the entire northeast region proud by her national level glory.
When TNT- The Northeast Today met her, she was seen sitting in a chair in her dispensary with her stethoscope round her neck and papers some medical journals lying on the table.
Rakhi shared her journey from being a doctor, wife and a mother to covet the crown. It was a dream come true. Rakhi set her focus on dancing even when she was too little to understand the term ‘aim in life’. “I was passionate about modeling and movies, apart from dance since my childhood. Study was secondary for me. But I could not avoid study due to my mother who always wanted me to do well in academics. I finally pursued a career in Homeopathy and become a doctor,” the fashionista told Priyanka Deb Barman.
Rakhi , a trained Kathak dancer who also pursues Belle, hip-hop, contemporary and fiscal besides Rabindra Nritya. She is also a Basket-Ball player. “I did participate in many inter-school sports events like basket-ball, swimming, long-jump, and high-jump. I was also a sports icon in my school,” Rakhi said.
Sharing one incident of college days, she said she used to bunk her ‘patho class’ for her dance class. She had even broken an iron-made stick of a window to make a passage to her class after her dance class. But she was caught red-handed by her faculty many times.
“My faculty told me to concentrate on studies avoiding the drama. However, my faculty members later too supported my love for dance. And now, my entire family including my mother and even daughter inspire me to wear crown,” she said.
The national-level beauty contest was not her debut. She had secured fourth rank in the first Miss Tripura beauty contest in her school days. She also had taken part in Super Mom dance competition telecast on Zee TV two times. She also acted in Kokborok movie ‘Bwkha’ and a Bengali movie ‘Bolo Na Valobashi She also an anchors in a local Bengali news channel.
When asked about her food and daily lifestyle, she said she is a foodie and never follows any strict diet chart, her favourite being green vegetables and fruits. Besides, daily regular physical exercise is a ‘must-to- do’ for her. She is now eyeing on starring on serials, movies.
Here are some people who took Rakhi to the Beauty Queen platform:
- Nupur Debbarma (friend): Nupur Debbarma is one of the inspirations of Rakhi who took her to the national-level platform. Nupur had shifted her anchoring profession to a government job. But she never forgot her friend Rakhi’s dream to walk on the ramp. She was the first who had proposed Rakhi to join a news channel as an anchor. She even recommended her name to local movie producers and fashion photographers. Nupur used to guide her how to maintain herself to make fit for the fashion industry.
- Madhuri Debbarma (dress designer): Madhuri Debbarma, a young energetic dress designer has designed all outfits for Rakhi. Rakhi was really impressed of her designs that she could not even think to shift her eyes on other designers’ outfits. A pass-out from National Institute of Fashion Technology, Madhuri , now a government school teacher, dedicate her whole to give her best when the question comes about design. Initially, she designed for some local artistes, but she never thought her designed outfits would be showcased in the national-level. Rakhi gave her the chance.
- Keshab Majumder (husband): Keshab was the first man who informed Rakhi about the beauty contest. Being an army advisor, his tight schedule never let him allow thinking for entertainment. He, himself also never taken any interest in fashion or glamour industry. However, his eyes caught arrested in the website of Mrs. India Beauty Queen -2017. As a husband, he wanted Rakhi to take the chance to exhibit her as a complete woman with true beauty and intelligence.
- Roopa Nandi (beautician): A senior beautician of the capital city gave Rakhi new look by changing her hairstyle. Rakhi was totally dependent on Roopa Nandi for her makeover and hairstyle. Her portfolio with new makeover and hairstyle look got her selection in the national-level beauty pageant. Roopa Nandi, a self-entrepreneur runs her own beauty parlour here.
- Parthajit Datta (photographer): Rakhi’s portfolios were selected for the contest. She never hired any fashion photographers from metro cities which many of the beauty contestants hooked to. Parthajit Datta, a senior photographer from Tripura did her photo shoot for the contest. Datta used to work in media and his photo was selected for cover page of Salman Rushdie’s ‘ Midnight’s Children.’
The writer can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org